Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Great Kool Aid War

The Great Kool Aid War began on a day that was like most other days in the Summer in the South.  My best friend was staying with me (like she typically was) and we were having a great time.  




The only problem was that we were about to die from the heat and were in serious need of some kind of refreshment.  As we normally did when we needed something, we went to Grandma's house.  Everything you need is at Grandma's house.  

When we got there and expressed our severe need to Grandma, she told us that she had these great new Kool Aid slushies in the freezer that would offer us just the cool down that we needed.  We were ecstatic.  When she fished them out of the freezer and showed them to us, though, it was evident that there was going to be a problem.


There were two slushies, but they weren't the same flavor.  One was cherry and the other was grape.  Neither of us liked grape.  I, myself, have always considered grape flavored products to be one of the most disgusting things on Earth.  They in no way taste like grape, just like artificial sweeteners mixed with chemical nastiness.

Grandma had somewhere to go and left the two of us alone, staring at the slushie pouches on the counter.  One of us was going to have to drink the grape.  We waited a few minutes, each silently wondering what the other would do.  Something primal was brewing inside us.  This was serious and a fight to the death was going to be the only way to handle it.  

Having size to my advantage I did what any rational person would do.  I grabbed the cherry, blocking it with my body and started to run through the house.  What resulted was a wrestling match where, at some point, I'm pretty sure my best friend was riding me through the house like a miniature pony while I tried to keep the cherry pouch out of her reach.



Finally, from sheer exhaustion, the fight was over.  I had the cherry and it looked like she was going to accept that my sheer size gave the me the upper hand in this battle and she was going to have to drink  the grape...but she didn't have to be happy about it.  I, of course, had to gloat over my victory for a few minutes before partaking of my delicious, icy, cherry goodness.


Finally, after a little gloating, we decided to make up and try to enjoy the refreshment promised.  We assumed that all we would need to do was pour the slushie into a glass and enjoy, but then we read the directions.  


The slushies weren't slushies.  They were powder to mix with water and make slushies.  The first note of interest is that my Grandma had been freezing Kool Aid powder.  The second is that the cherry pouch would make enough slushie for the entire neighborhood...but it was going to take forever.

We were impatient and the fight had taken up most of our energy.  We finally just left the pouches on the cabinet and decided to go home and watch television.  There would be no slushie for either of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment